BowsAndBulletsReviews

Seanan McGuire
Crooked Kingdom: A Sequel to Six of Crows
Leigh Bardugo

Review for Model Spy (The Specialists #1) by Shannon Greenland

Model Spy - Shannon Greenland (S. E. Green)

The review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

Kelly James’ life changes the minute she agrees to help David, her RA, uncover top secret information on his father. She’s a genius (literally) and a whiz with computers, she knows she can get to the info if she is willing to dig deep enough. Unfortunately, the information is super top secret and few hours after hacking the government, she is arrested….and offered a job? She gets taken away to a farm for the super-smarts and offered a job as a spy….and quickly thrown into her first mission. Does Kelly have what it takes to be a world class spy? Or will she fail the mission and her new found family?

Kelly was cute and geeky and super-smart. She’s still a teen, but already in college. She’s genius level smart and has more fun dinking around on a computer than interacting with humans. Because of that, she is more than a little awkward. Her crush on David is adorable and frustrating. David, by the way, is a character I’m not entirely sold on. He’s sweet, but he did trick Kelly into a compromising situation so they could recruit her which is beyond sketchy.

The rest of the crew is interesting, but forgettable. I felt like they were important, but not at the same time. Part of what makes Kelly want to stay is the new “family,” so they were required for that, but they didn’t really add anything to the story beyond that. Kelly connects, but they get such a short stent in the novel that I wondered if they were really necessary. Oh, and the code names, geez the code names. They are so bad! Can we just not?

This tiny novel is incredibly readable and I really enjoyed it, but it felt like it was over too soon. We don’t go super in-depth on anything and I feel like it wasn’t properly resolved. That’s forgivable because I know this is the first in a series, but I feel like a lot more could have been added to take this novel from good to great.

Despite the issues, I really enjoyed this little novel. It’s fast-paced and action-packed. It’s a quick and easy read that I hope you’ll enjoy as much as I did!

****Thank you to Penguin Publishers for providing me with an eARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review****