BowsAndBulletsReviews

Tahereh Mafi

Review for Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

Steelheart - Brandon Sanderson

This review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

I've heard great things about Brandon Sanderson, but I've always been intimidated. I've found that I do enjoy fantasy but I'm extremely picky and very intimidated by them. This has always seemed like a good starting point because it's superheros and I'm pretty good with that. But I've had the pretty hardcover on my shelves for quit some time and I've never picked it up. I was so excited to find it in a used bookstore and I remember bringing it home all filled with joy, but it never got read. So when I was given the opportunity to read it for review on audio, I jumped. Perfect opportunity. Okay, enough rambling.

David was a character I loved almost immediately. It's impossible not to sympathize with him with his father being killed right in front of him. And then he grows up so obsessed with Epics and so nerdy and adorable. I love how smart and dedicated he is. He wants revenge regardless of the cost and he has dedicated his entire life to that end. He's not just some kid who thinks about revenge and then moves on with his business. No, revenge is his one purpose in life and he'll get it or die trying. I also shipped him with Megan pretty much as soon as they met. I don't know if that'll ever happen, but I want it to....a lot.

I loved all the rest of the Reckoners. They reminded me a lot of the characters in Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
Atlantis: The Lost Empire Cast
They were all quirky and unique, but had their own specialties and had something to add to the team dynamic. I loved how they worked together and there were no turmoil between them. They all got along and helped each other out. It was a refreshing change to having everyone fight over each other because person A like person B but person B likes person C and so on. No crazy love triangles to be found here, just a fun cast to keep you smiling and hoping they don't die.

The writing was enthralling. It was a book that I was loathed to press the pause button on. Each scene blending into the next that there seemed no opportune moment to take a break for inconsequential things such as work and food. I don't need a paycheck and I don't need food, I just need to know what happens next. Does David finally realize what he feels for Megan is a bit more than basic attraction? Do they succeed in taking out Steelheart? What is Steelheart's weakness? Do they all survive this perilous journey? Because I'm not so great with character death. I'm also not great with cliffhangers, but we do get one of those here, so be prepared for that!

Basically, this book was amazing and I'm sad it took me so long to read it. Basically this is a fantasy novel that overly picky readers who don't like high fantasy can enjoy. I don't want to deal with a whole new world, I just want some magic. If that sounds like you, then you'll love this. If you like all the superhero movies that currently breaking box office record after box office record, then this will be something you'll love. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I can't wait for book 2.

Audio Notes:
I've made no secret of my love for McLeod Andrews. He's the other reason I jumped at the chance to review this audiobook. If I had to pick a single narrator to listen to for the rest of my life, he'd be it. He has a nice voice in general and he is so great and changing it for different characters that it's almost hard to believe that it's just one guy in the studio recording instead of a group of people. I highly recommend any book narrated by him. He could probably narrate the Webster dictionary and I'd listen to it happily.

****Thank you to Esther Bochner at Audible for providing me with an audio copy in exchange for an honest review****

Tabitha's signature