BowsAndBulletsReviews

Julie Kagawa

Review for If We Were A Movie by Kelly Oram

If We Were A Movie (Power of the Matchmaker) - Kelly Oram

This review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

Firstly, can I say how much I love the cover? I mean it’s seriously pretty. It might even beat The Avery Shaw Experiment for my favorite Kelly Oram cover. It’s just so blue and simple. I truly adore it. Now, on to what’s BEHIND the cover, shall we?

Nate is an easy character to sympathize with. He has a good life, but he just wants to be recognized as his own person and create music. He’s so dedication to his craft is admirable. I don’t know that I’ve ever been that dedicated to anything. I loved his dynamic with his brothers. I HATED his dynamic with Sophie. Actually, I just hated Sophie. I can’t really say why because SPOILERS, but I didn’t love her when it started and it just goes downhill from there.

I did enjoy Jordan. She’s an interesting character. I can definitely appreciate a girl with a healthy love for films. I loved that she wasn’t a film snob. A lot of movie buff characters you read about look down on the quirky romantic comedies, especially the teenage ones. If it doesn’t have a special, deeper meaning or use strange lighting or an innovative new storytelling method then it’s crap. Not so with Jordan. She likes the award winning stuff as well as the cheesy romantic things. Any girl who can tell you the plot of 10 Things I Hate About You off the top of her head is a girl I’m bound to love.

As for the romance and story, I worried a little that this would venture into the cheating territory which is something I always have problems with. Regardless of your age, if you are unhappy your relationship and want to be with someone else, man up and say it. Thankfully Kelly spares us that and so I don’t have to rant about it.

I really enjoyed Jordan and Nate’s friendship above all else. They connect immediately and are instabuddies. Jordan is immediately supportive of Nate’s endeavors and vice versa. I also really loved the way Nate handled the whole end situation. I can’t really talk about it because of the spoilers again, but he really mans up in a mature and responsible way and I found that to be the sexiest thing ever.

Basically, this is exactly what you’d expect from Oram. In a word, amazing. Kelly has quickly become a go-to author for me when I’m in the mood for a contemporary that pacts a heartfelt punch with a few laughs thrown in. Though this doesn’t knock Cinder & Ella from my all-time-favorite-Kelly-Oram-book spot, it does come close and that’s all you can really ask for!

Tabitha's signature