BowsAndBulletsReviews

Julie Kagawa

Review for The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L Armentrout

The Problem with Forever - Jennifer L. Armentrout

This review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

I liked Mallory almost immediately. It’s impossible not to sympathize with her. The poor girl has been through hell and even though she’s escaped it now, she bares serious scars from that past. She has issues speaking and dealing with people in general. But what I really loved was seeing her push herself. It would have been so easy to box herself into this woe-is-me category. Oh, I had a very difficult childhood and now I just can’t overcome it could have easily been her motto. But she doesn’t do that. She pushes herself to improve. She pushes herself to heal and to do the things that scare her. She’s so strong even when she thinks she’s weak and I admire her so much for that.

Then we have Rider, Mallory’s counterpart in the horrid past. He was her protector and that scene when they reconnect at school was priceless and everything you could have asked for. I wasn’t 100% a fan of him for the entire story, but he was an interesting character to watch.

This novel is why I still read YA contemporaries. It’s smart and thoughtful. It’s just as much about Mallory’s road to push herself to improve and get better as it is her romance with Rider. And I could expect nothing less from Jennifer L Armentrout. She knows how to write a story, there is no questioning that. She can flesh out a character and make you hurt for them in a single chapter and she makes no apologize about it.

There is one part that I still haven’t made my mind up about. There is a death contained within these pages. A death that just cut me to the quick. A death that just surprised the hell out of me. I typically knock off star ratings for deaths. I hate character death, but I can’t seem to bring myself to do it here. I just enjoyed this story too much to give it less than a full five star rating. That should tell you all you need to know!

Tabitha's signature