BowsAndBulletsReviews

Shatter Me
Tahereh Mafi

Review for Tristan: Finding Hope

Tristan: Finding Hope - Jessica Sorensen

This review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews.

Tristan has been battling his addiction to drugs for a while now. He’s been doing them off and on since he was a teenager and no matter how many times he gets clean, he always seems to slip up again. He’s always felt invisible and the highs allow him to forget about that for a while. They allow him to let go. Now he’s working with Quinton and Nova building houses for Habitat For Humanity. Quinton is pretty good about keeping him out of trouble because no one can spot an failing addict like a recovered one. Things are going great until Tristan gets a call from his mom about the anniversary of his sister’s death and the cravings might just be too much. In the midst of this, he meets Avery, the girl who is getting the house they are working on. And he’s fascinated. Here is a girl with purple streaks in her hair, tattoos, and sad eyes. He wants to know her story. Can he let go of his cravings for long enough to get to know this girl or will he fall prey to his own addictions?

I’ve made no secret of my love for Tristan. He was one of my favorite characters in the Nova series. Despite the fact that he creates an annoying love triangle, you can’t help but feel for the guy. Sorensen is brilliant at writing tortured characters and Tristan is no exception. His parents are assholes, they remind me a little bit of Lila’s parents from The Secret series. They know just how to hurt Tristan and are great at doing so. They push him until he feels like getting high is the only way out. And I hate that. I have never understand the real life pull for drugs. I have never done drugs….unless you count caffeine and monumental amounts of ibuprofen, so Tristan’s situation isn’t one I can readily understand. But Sorensen makes me feel like I can understand and Tristan is a character I love despite my dislike of druggies. I think it’s his loyalty to Quinton, despite the past. I just want to see him get his happily ever after because he is just as deserving of it as Quinton is.

Avery is still a mystery. This is novella is more about Tristan than her, but we get a small glimpse at this girl who will be Tristan’s other half in the next novel. I’ll definitely say I’m intrigued. I have an idea where her story is heading, but I’ll keep that to myself to see if I’m right.

This novella gives us a taste of Wreck Me. We get more of Tristan, which I’m thankful for because that’s exactly what I wanted upon finishing Nova And Quinton: No Regrets. And boy was it worth it. Tristan is exactly what I wanted him to be. Smart and sweet, but damaged and craving the next forbidden fix. I can’t wait to see how his story turns out! I’m off to jump into Wreck Me!