BowsAndBulletsReviews

Beneath the Sugar Sky
Seanan McGuire
Crooked Kingdom: A Sequel to Six of Crows
Leigh Bardugo
Kiss of Frost - Jennifer Estep Gwen Frost’s life just got worse. It’s bad enough to be stuck at Mythos Academy, where all the kids are decedents of ancient warriors, but now, she’s also forced into extra hours of weapons training, to help her learn to defend herself. Oh yeah, and the extra sessions are taught by none other than her crush, Logan, who rejected her proposal to date. Trying to stay focused is difficult enough without his gorgeous face to distract her. Add to that the fact that the Reapers of Chaos are out to get her, and this is definitely bound to be an interesting semester.

Just like the last one, Gwen’s spunky personality had me instantly sympathizing with her. Her comic book and sugar addictions, not to mention the strong compulsion to know everybody’s secrets and I just couldn’t get enough. Her snappy comebacks always made me laugh and her struggle to get over Logan had be both rooting for her and hoping she’d fail…because I mean, COME ON, her and Logan belong together and it had better fucking happen before this series ends.

The side characters are as amusing as ever, though I do feel like Daphne got pushed to the side a little. She was too wound up in her new boyfriend to be overly involved, though she isn’t completely absent, just a bit distracted. We get to see just a bit more of Logan and the fact that we don’t get a LOT more of him was a rather large disappointment. Gwen also makes a new friend in this one, towards the end, and I have to say that I think I’m going to love him. He’s quite an unlikely friend and I was taken aback a little, but I already like him quite a bit.

Part of the plot was a completely shock the thing about Oliver and part of it was utterly predictable the thing with the reaper. The biggest reason this gets four stars instead of five is that the beginning was very slow and felt outright condescending at times. In the beginning of this, we get so many recaps of book 1 that I felt like I was reading an extended summary of it instead of a completely new book. I understand that authors want to make sure people who didn’t read book one can understand the plot, but you can leave somethings a mystery to make them wish to read the first one a bit more. Or at the very least, not describe multiple things in completely detail! I mean, I did actually read book one and I do remember quite a bit from it, especially the major plot points and the fact that Gwen cannot touch people because her psychometry gives her flashes whether she wants them or not. You don’t need to repeat that fact every single time Gwen refuses to touch someone or allow herself to be touched or even in close proximity to others.

Beyond that, this novel was wholly enjoyable, especially once you get past the first half because things really pickup quickly in the second half. Once you get to the halfway point, it’s pretty difficult to put down. One thing is for sure, I’m definitely going to be reading the next installment.