BowsAndBulletsReviews

Welcome To Showside
Ian McGinty
Shatter Me
Tahereh Mafi
True - Erin McCarthy This is your classic good girl meets bay boy scenario. Rory is a smart, premed college student on the track to becoming a coroner and Tyler is a tattooed boy from the wrong side of the tracks going to an EMT degree so he can better himself. It’s an unlikely pair, but the attraction between the two is undeniable. Will Rory risk her future to be with Tyler? Will Tyler allow her to do that? I guess you’ll have to read to see.

Rory and Tyler are both pretty much your typical new adult characters. She’s a good girl with a nice unbringing in the upper middle class and he’s lower class with a drug-addled mother. She’s that nerdy girl who has never really had a boyfriend and is therefore still a virgin at 20. He’s sexually experience from all his years as a manslut and even has a bolt through the cock to prove his manliness. The only thing that sets them apart is the fact that for once it’s the guy who is the literature-whore. He loves to read. When he shows up to a Halloween party wearing normal clothes claiming to be a muggle, I was snorting with amusement. The guy is rarely ever the booknerd, so I loved seeing that. I wasn’t overly fond of Rory, but I think I did like Tyler quite a bit. Once you learn more about him, it’s easy to sympathize with him. My only issue with him besides the fact that he goes all Edward-y towards the end with the whole “I can’t be with you anymore because I’m no good for you.” was his nicotine addiction. I don’t care what Rory says about that shit being “sweet smelling,” it’s gross. In fact, considering that Rory’s mom died of cancer, it’s difficult to believe she didn’t have a bigger problem with his cancer sticks, but she doesn’t.

All the side characters are great. I didn’t like Kylie or Jessica initially, but they definitely grew on me. I loved Rory’s dad’s girlfriend, Susan and Tyler’s brothers. Susan never tries to be Rory’s mother, only helping when she can and staying out of it when she isn’t wanted or needed. Tyler’s brothers are just downright amusing. Their camaraderie won me over almost instantly.

The plot was good, if more than a little predictable. The writing was intriguing and addictive, making me want to continue when I know I should be doing other things. My only issue with the writing was the overuse of the word penis. It’s not so much that she uses it too much, just more of the fact that I don’t like that word particularly. It just sounds so clinical. In my humble opinion, cock or dick is better, but that’s probably just me.

This won’t be my favorite read of the year, but it was definitely good and I think anyone who enjoys new adult or contemporary romance will enjoy it. I look forward to reading more books by Erin McCarthy!

****Thank you to Intermix Books, published by Penguin Group, for providing me with an eARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review****