BowsAndBulletsReviews

Spelled
Betsy Schow
Soldier (The Talon Saga)
Julie Kagawa
Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls - Tellulah Darling Ally just got dumped by her boyfriend of two years and is ready to get over it. So instead of moping around the house eating ice cream and wearing pajama’s all day, she asks her best friend Sam to teach her his patented technique for “screwing around and then screwing off.” No more serious relationships, just a series of one night stands where all parties leave satisfied. This, she decides, is the best way to avoid getting dumped for another girl ever again. But what happens when she starts to having feelings for one of the one night standers? For this to all work, Sam decides she’ll need a makeover, but then he realizes that this brainy BFF is hot and can’t help by be turned on by her.

This book gets 5 stars if only just for the blunt manner in which it is written. It is very rare to read a YA book that talks about teens having sex. More than that, teens having a lot of sex without any real guilt attached to that idea. Or, even more than that, about a female teen character who actually wants sex without strings. Most adult writers are appalled by this idea. Hormone filled teens actually want to have sex?!?!

Finally an author who doesn’t hide behind religious or the mythical idea of morally good or bad and is just honest about it. I absolutely loved it. I loved watching Allie transform under Sam’s tutelage and then seeing her take that knowledge and decide exactly what was right for her. I loved the way it ended as well. I think anyone who picks it up can tell right from the beginning where it is going and that was the perfect place for the story to end. I loved the whole thing, especially the makeover bits.

That being said, I know plenty of people who would absolutely despise it. Fair warning to anyone picking up this novel, it contains cursing and discusses sex explicitly. I happened to find it refreshing, but like everything else, it isn’t for everyone. If these things don’t bother you and you are looking for a more honest take on teen relationships, please read this novel. It’s laugh out loud funny with a heartfelt storyline underneath.

****Thank you to Te Da Media for providing me with an eARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review****