BowsAndBulletsReviews

Beneath the Sugar Sky
Seanan McGuire
Crooked Kingdom: A Sequel to Six of Crows
Leigh Bardugo
The Murmurings - Carly Anne West Sophie David’s life is far from normal. A nonexistent father, an alcoholic mother, and a dead sister, she’s pretty much alone these days. So when she starts hearing the same noises and seeing the same things that made her mother have her sister committed, she decides to buckle down and refuses to tell anyone. But soon the voices refuse to be ignored and Sophie is in a world of danger that Nell (her sister) died to protect her from.

I quite enjoyed this novel. The tension/romance between Evan and Sophie was adorable, the storyline was just intriguing enough to keep me guess, and the spine tingling creep factor that I loved in Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake was also pretty prevalent. Sophie is a stubborn girl just trying to make it through. After Nell’s death, her mom falls apart, quits working and drinks all day. Most days, she doesn’t even speak to Sophie and yet Sophie still gets up every morning and goes to school even though she knows her mom wouldn’t notice if she didn’t.

I was a little suspicious of Evan at first. He seemed to show up at perfect time to go with Sophie to the psychiatric facility and seemed altogether too nice and accepting. But after a few chapters, I learned to trust him. He’s got his own demons chasing him and he’s just looking for someone to help him figure it all out, just like Sophie.

The thing I really enjoyed about this was the creepiness. YA doesn’t have many novels that can send chills down your spine (or if it does, I haven’t read many) and though I normally avoid horror movies, I am somewhat attracted to it in writing. I know, it doesn’t make sense, but there it is. My only real complaint about this novel was that it was a mite too predictable. I didn’t see all of it coming, but I did know that Adam was the insider, that he was observing Nell for Dr. Creepy, that Deb was Nell’s friend “MM” while in the facility, and so on.

I think that anyone who enjoyed Anna Dressed In Blood will also enjoy this. It’s a really enjoyable and fun read!