BowsAndBulletsReviews

Beneath the Sugar Sky
Seanan McGuire
Crooked Kingdom: A Sequel to Six of Crows
Leigh Bardugo
Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) - Jamie McGuire ***THIS REVIEW CONTAINS MINOR SPOILERS***

Abby Abernathy’s life is exactly what she wants it to be, safe and quiet. Moving to a small college far from home, Abby is far away from her rather unsavory past. Now, Travis Maddox is vying for her attention and she knows he’s exactly what she is trying to avoid and yet she can’t help but be drawn to him.

Originally I gave this four stars, but the more I think about it, the less impressed I am and that’s why it was demoted. I gets 3 for the same reason Twilight got 3, because regardless of all else, I did enjoy it while I was reading it and became immersed into its world. But, just like Twilight, after I finished it and really started to digest it, I started to notice flaws and issues.

The biggest one being the two main characters. Abby’s backstory is interesting, I’ll give you that, but it’s not that bad and Travis’ sole excuse for being an abusive dick is that he’s mom died when he was very young and he didn’t learn how to love. AW, now isn’t that just precious? Um…wait…no it isn’t. Especially considering how much of a dick he is. He’s uber-jealous and controlling (you know, in that Edward Cullen “I’m only trying to protect you.” way that drives me nuts), he sleeps around with anything that walks but gets pissed when Abby so much as TALKS to another guy even though the pair of them are “just friends”. Abby’s reason for avoiding the relationship are a bit stupid. Yes, Travis has a temper and gambles a bit, but there is a big difference between that and someone who makes their living playing cards. Her daddy issues really get in the way and I just couldn’t get behind it. Then, towards the end of the novel, they play that breaking up and getting back together game.

Wow this review is short, but I’m really too disappointed to rant properly. I was expecting something along the lines of Easy by Tammara Webber (which I’m always expected when I pick up a new adult book these days) and I just didn’t get it. I’m at that moment again when nothing seems to satisfy me. Can anyone recommend something new and amazing to knock my socks off and remind me why I wade through all the mediocre novels?