BowsAndBulletsReviews

Welcome To Showside
Ian McGinty
Shatter Me
Tahereh Mafi
Embrace  - Jessica Shirvington My feelings for this novel are good overall, but somewhat mixed on a lower level. Let me get through the good first, then I’ll go into the mixed.

This novel follows Violet Eden as she discovers that she is an angel/human hybrid called Grigori who must either choose to “embrace” her gifts and help keep humanity safe or refuse her gifts and be left defenseless to those who can sense her kind. Unfortunately with this revelation also comes the knowledge that Lincoln, he closest friend, has been lying to her for as long as she has known him. He is actually her grigori partner and was forbidden to tell her until her seventeenth birthday. Hurt and betrayed, she does what she normally refuses to do and runs away from the situation. She refuses to see or speak to Lincoln and can’t let go of the sense of betrayal. Then she meets Phoenix, a handsome exiled angel who for whatever reason takes a liking to her and helps her through this difficult time.

This was one of those novels that I just couldn’t put down once I got into it. I thought it was a bit slow until the point when Lincoln kisses Violet and then it just takes off. The dynamic between Violet and Linc is great, the dynamic between Violet and Phoenix is even better and between the two, I was enraptured, wanting to know what she would choose, who she would choose, and how it would end. Throw in a few extra characters and this was a whole lot of crazy in a tiny package and I was addicted. The love triangle in this didn’t bother me too much well until the end when Violet chooses Lincoln because Phoenix was being stupid. I think that one of this novels higher points was that what really kept me interested was Violet’s emotional journey over the angely action. Yes, there were several good action scenes where they battle the baddies and sent them packing and they were well written and highly entertaining, but what really kept me going was Violet in general. I actually really liked her and I wanted her to make the right choice. And the cliffhanger wasn’t bad. Actually, it wasn’t the ending itself that bothered me but rather the fact that I had reached the end and I desperately wanted more. If you like angels and love triangles, then you’ll love this.

Now for the parts that irritated me, or rather the part that irritated me. Unfortunately to really rant like I want to, I’m gonna give away minor spoilers, so proceed with caution.
I hated the way Phoenix was handled. I hated he was manipulating her when he KNEW that would cause problems. I definitely liked Phoenix more and wanted her to end up with him even though they always end up with the “good” guy so I knew it wasn’t going to happen, but I still wanted to hold onto that hope. I hated that Violet only sleeps with him to get away from her fucked up feelings about Lincoln, blatantly using him. For the majority of the novel, Phoenix was a decent guy, pushing Violet and helping her and then it was like a switch flipped and I truly believe they only reason the author wrote it that way was to give Violet a legitimate reason to go back to trying to work things out with Lincoln. GRH. PHOENIX IS BETTER GODDAMNIT!