BowsAndBulletsReviews

Godkiller: Walk Among Us Complete Collection
Matt Pizzolo
Soldier (The Talon Saga)
Julie Kagawa
Trouble at the Wedding - Laura Lee Guhrke Annabel Wheaton is determined to marry a titled peer to get the respect she has always deserved, so when the Earl of Rumsford proposes, she thinks her prays have been answered. She knows he is marrying her for her ample fortune and is completely okay with it because she is mainly marrying him for his title. A week before the wedding, everything is going divinely, save her uncle constantly nagging her to put more thought into this decision before she makes a big mistake, when Christian Du Quesne, Duke of Scarborough shows up and turns her world upside down. Not only does she feel an instant attraction to him but he starts planting doubts in her mind that weren’t there the week before. The morning of the wedding she must choose, follow the path to become a countess which she has worked so hard to achieve or call off the wedding for a tryst with Christian who is not the marrying kind of man. Sounds like a simple choice, right? But it never is.

Christian is almost out of options. His brother died unexpectedly leaving him to take over as Duke, a job he is far from suitable for, and as soon as the title is changed he learns that they are completely run into the ground. Every property not entailed is mortgaged and the rest don’t earn enough to break even annually much less pay off massive debts. Determined never again to marry for money as he did 12 years ago, he goes to America to try to make his fortune because that seems to be where all men make it big but having no capital to invest in new ventures, he cannot really do much. So when Arthur, Annabel’s uncle, offers him half a million dollars to dissuade his niece from marrying that pompous ass, he accepts immediately. A week before the wedding his insinuates himself into Annabel’s life and starts covertly planting doubts in her mind and mocking her intended.

All this culminates in a passionate kiss the night before the wedding leaving them both off balance. Annabel’s marches on and still makes it to her nuptials fully intending to become the Countess of Rumsford despite Christian’s best efforts and then he shows up and objects to the wedding in the middle of the ceremony, implying that something has happened between Annabel and himself. So what happens next? How do they salvage her possibly ruined reputation? Well, that is one spoiler I won’t give away, and no it isn’t the simple she marries the duke immediately to avoid the scandal approach.

I seriously must be going to a phase of some sort because it seems like I am drooling over every male character I read right now.

St Clair from Anna And The French Kiss, Mr Darcy from Pride And Prejudice, Colin from 20 Times A Lady, Alec from Forbidden, Peeta from The Hunger Games, Loki from Switched, the list goes on and on and on (and on and on and on and on and on). I LOVED Christian. He was cocky and confident and handsome and had a sense of humor and a hiding sense of honor and just DAMN.

…wait, he is fictional and I am married….fuck…ANYWAY, he is the perfect historical romance hero.

Annabel was pretty good too, stubborn and hard headed and kind of the typical American Heiress which I am good with.

I have yet again proven to myself that historical romance novels (written by the proper authors, naturally) are the balm to my soul and I strive to read more of them. Especially when so many YA novels right now end with horrid cliffhangers and have stupid love triangles and have idiot heroines that anger me to the point where.....

.....well you get the picture.....

But that’s a bit off topic. This novel is well written and will definitely make you laugh and probably cry and hope the happily ever after that seems impossible. It was nearly perfect. My only real complaint is that the ending felt rushed. I could have used an extra chapter (or even few paragraphs) to see that they were settled properly before finishing the novel.