BowsAndBulletsReviews

Bows & Bullets Book Blog

Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons Series)
Leigh Bardugo
Soldier (The Talon Saga)
Julie Kagawa
Beneath the Sugar Sky
Seanan McGuire
The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins Update
JUST A FEW MORE DAYS!
I'm going nuts with excitement!

....okay, so maybe the last one was unnecessary, but come on! It's Robert Di Niro dancing in a corset and a dress!

Can you summarize the plot?
This book is the first in the Hunger Games series, and it follows Katniss Everdeen on her journey to try to win the hunger games. The hunger games is a contest held every year in which 2 people (a boy and a girl between the ages of 12 and 18) is chosen to compete in a fight to the death for the entertainment of the rest of the Panem society. That’s as basic as I can put it.

What were your initial thoughts going into the book?
I was a little scared that I might hate it. Despite having read many (many, many, many, many) amazing reviews on this book and truly wanting to see the film, I was scared the writing would be too dull or horrific to hold my attention. I also have a penchant for good endings and well, with a summery like the one above, you know a lot of people are going to die and I wasn’t sure if I would be pleased with that.

What were your initial thoughts after finishing the novel?
I was a bit speechless. I loved it. Honestly, I really do like reading a bit of gore, it just makes happy endings hard to come by. I genuinely love Peeta (yeah, I am definitely team Peeta) and I wanted to see where their relationship went. This book drew me in pretty quickly and it was hard to put down.

What did you like about this book?
I liked that it was written in first person because I really liked Katniss’ no nonsense way of narrating. I loved most of the characters ::coughs:: especially Peeta ::clears thoat:: The world it is set in is so different and excited and I just needed to know more and more about it. I am a bit of an sucker for dystopian novels right now. I also really loved the gore and the way Suzanne Collins didn’t shy away from that or make it too easy on Katniss. She gets serious injuries and has to really fight to stay alive.

What did you dislike about this book?
I didn’t like the love triangle. This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine because almost every YA novel right now has a love triangle and I hate it. I hate it for several reasons, but one of the main ones is that it takes a male character (because it is always one girl between two guys) that I could adore and makes me dislike him for trying to break up the main love interest which I typically like. It also makes the heroine seem…um…Bella-esque? It gives them that quality that Bella Swan had where she feels ridiculously unattractive but every guy hits on her. Stupid, I guess would be the only word coming to mind that comes close. If you have a better word, please comment and let me know. Regardless, Katniss is anything but stupid so I hate that she was given that quality.

Who was your favorite character?
Oooo…hard one….::thinks:: oh yeah, PEETA! I also really love Caesar Flickerman.

Does it have a love triangle?
…whoops, please refer to the “What do you dislike about this book” question.

Does it have a cliffhanger ending?
Yes, but not a massive one. It is one of those small cliffhangers you can deal with.

Closing thoughts?
Just one: I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE THE MOVIE! March 23 please get here faster!

::does happy dance:: yay for my very first image/gif post.