BowsAndBulletsReviews

Bows & Bullets Book Blog

Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons Series)
Leigh Bardugo
Soldier (The Talon Saga)
Julie Kagawa
Beneath the Sugar Sky
Seanan McGuire
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen I finally finished this

Sorry, but it has been a long process. Believe it or not, I originally started this book back in 2007 to do a research paper on and unfortunately I cannot read anything, no matter how good, if I am forced to. The simple fact that I have to read it takes it from a fun hobby to a dreaded task. I got about halfway through it then before just giving up and watching the film (the Kiera Knightley version) which I adore. I keep trying to watch the longer BBC one but every time I rent it or try to borrow it from the library, it’s scratched as a motherfucker and won’t play. But I digress.

Now to my review. I struggled a bit with deciding whether to give this 4 stars or 5 because although I love it, I hate it when people give classic books 5 stars simply because they are old and dusty and you are supposed to love them. I felt like I needed to justify my choice of 5 stars more and the reason I went with 5 is because I genuinely love the story.

I adore Elizabeth and the fact that she is headstrong and opinionated in this time when that was beyond frowned upon. I like Jane and her shyness. I LOVED Bingley and his charismatic charm. I also really love Mr Bennet and his sense of humor. Mrs Bennet & Lydia Bennet on the other hand were those characters you alway wanted to smack in the face for being so stupid…like so:

And then there is Darcy….

At first, like everyone else, I wasn’t very into him. He was standoffish and he insulted Elizabeth behind her back mere moments after meeting her! Seriously, what is wrong with you dude? I was fuming as much as Elizabeth…but then you realize that he is shy and awkward when conversing with people he doesn’t know and he does all this amazing stuff just to help Elizabeth. I followed Elizabeth right down the damn rabbit whole when she started to fall for Darcy.

My only real complaint, oddly enough, was the prose. I truly did not expect the way it was written to bug me. I am an historical romance novel fanatic so you would assume that this would be right up my alley, no?

But it really wasn’t. Apparently I only like to listen to them speak this way, not read it. When I hear them speak, it’s like aw! He is paying her an extreme compliment and using all these pretty words. When I read it, the dialogue I can handle, but the entire page of description that basically amounts to “they lived in a large house called Longbourne that had many rooms and a lot of land with woods”….well I wasn’t so into that. And when Mr Collins spoke, I had the biggest urge to just yell at him to spit it out already! Seriously dude, pull your head out of Lady Catherine’s ass and speak for yourself! Stop paying Lady Catherine compliments every other word! Trust me, we understand that you think she is the shit.

Wow…this is probably the crappiest review I have ever written, but seriously there are tons of reviews out there that really explain what this book is about as well as several films, so if my review has left you confused, please go consult one of them (or just google it) and they will answers your numerous questions.

By the way, anyone else who is a fan of this book and/or the films, go watch Lost In Austen.
If you haven’t already seen this, please, I beg you, do it now. This BBC mini-series is probably one of my favorite things ever. You get to see a modern day English girl switch places with Elizabeth and she messes everything up and it is so hilarious and awesome and has the most perfect ending ever. Seriously, GO. BUY. IT. NOW. The hynotoad commands you!