BowsAndBulletsReviews

Spelled
Betsy Schow
Soldier (The Talon Saga)
Julie Kagawa
Catching Fire - Suzanne  Collins Can you summarize the plot?
Without spoilers? No, I cannot. But here is my best attempt: Katniss & Peeta have returned to District 12 and are about to embark on a tour of the districts. Katniss gets threatened by President Snow because apparently her “stunt” caused a rising rebellion which we all know was probably already in effect but he wants a scapegoat to blame it on. Katniss, of course, agrees to do anything to protect her family but also only makes things worse. There, that’s it. I can’t really say more without giving away spoilers.

What were your initial thoughts going into the book?
To put it simply, OMFG! Yay for The Hunger Games 2! Katniss! Stop being an idiot and just be with Peeta already!

What were your initial thoughts after finishing the novel?
Cliffhanger! Cliffhanger! Danger! Danger! Seriously, those were my initial thoughts, along with a giant urge to start the next book IMMEDIATELY. You want more than that? Um….obviously I was just as impressed with this novel as I was with the first, if not more so. If you have read The Hunger Games, expect this to be a lot like it but a little more complicated and move love triangle-y.
Gale? Peeta? Peeta? Gale? I know who I’d choose, but Katniss can’t make up her damn mind. Sorry, love triangles are a pet peeve of mine. I really don’t like girls who truthfully try to claim they are in love with 2 different guys. Sorry, but I just don’t see it. I think you can love many people as well as be attracted to a lot of people, but only be in love with one at a time. Either you really are in love with one of them and are just lusting after the other or you don’t truly love either. Maybe I am wrong, but still I hate it.

What did you like about this book?
I love the plot twists. There were several things I saw coming but there was a lot that I didn't. I loved the character development. You can really see a lot of the characters grow.

What did you dislike about this book?
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but the love triangle. I think that might have been my only issue, so bravo Ms. Collins
designer sunglasses

Who was your favorite character?
It is still Peeta, but I fell in love with Finnick by the end. Seriously, he is awesome.

Does it have a love triangle?
I really need to just remove this question, don’t know I? Yes it does, please refer to the “what were your initial thoughts” question.
Does it have a cliffhanger ending?
Yep. A pretty bad one at that, so if you don’t like cliffhangers, I advise you to have Mockingjay on hand when you finish this so you can go ahead and start it.

Closing thoughts?
All in all, this was an amazing book. There are a lot of YA trilogies where the first book is amazing and the second one is a big disappointment, but this isn’t one of them. The story flows well and I just couldn’t put it down. I ended sneaking and reading this in school when I should have been doing classwork.