BowsAndBulletsReviews

Welcome To Showside
Ian McGinty
Shatter Me
Tahereh Mafi
High Fidelity - Nick Hornby I must say that before reading this book, I had a lot of doubts as to whether or not I would enjoy it. I had seen (and loved) the movie and every review I read said that this book was nothing like the film. Well, I whole-heartedly disagree. Yes, a few things where changed and some of the actors don't look anything like the characters described (like Charlie whos is supposed to be blonde is played by Catherine Zeta-Jones, who is never blond) and the location is different (in the book they are in London, in the film they are in Chicago), but the idea is the same and some of the things said in the film are verbatim from the book.

I thoroughly enjoyed this rare glimpse into the male mind, and after reading it, I have no doubt that this really is the way some guys think. It tells the story of 35 year old Rob, who owns a record store (Championship Vinyl) when he deals with the idea that he is always being rejected. He has just been dumped by Laura, his girlfriend of 3 years and he is stuck between moving on and begging Laura to come back. It's told in first person, which I adore and it's hilariously funny.