BowsAndBulletsReviews

Shatter Me
Tahereh Mafi

Review for Star Crossed (Stargazer #1) by Jennifer Echols

Star Crossed - Jennifer Echols

Wendy Mann loves her job, but she’s losing it.  After her bosses tell her she’s fired, she begs for another chance and they give it to her: rehabilitate teenage rocker Lorelei Vogel before she loses her recording contract.  It’s an impossible job, but Wendy is determined to do it.  It just becomes more difficult when she realizes Lorelei’s ex is being repped by Daniel Blackstone, her college rival, and they will all be in Vegas together for this particularly hellish week.  Daniel cannot believe he’ll be seeing Wendy again.  She starred in way too many of his college fantasies, not that she’ll ever know that.  But Wendy is an unneeded distraction and soon, he cannot help but pay more attention to her than to his client.  With the heat turning past the boiling point for these two, can they still manage to keep their respective stars in line long enough to save Wendy’s career?

I didn’t love this novel the way I’ve loved all the other stories I’ve read by Jennifer Echols.  I found Wendy to be too over-the-top and just plain annoying.  Yes, we get it.  You spent a week as a stripper (but apparently it was a very good week) and you have gorgeous blonde hair.  Good for you, but seriously, get on with it.  Daniel, wasn’t much better, coming off as high handed and too damn quiet.  He laughs at Wendy’s dumb sex jokes, all of which made me cringe.  He’s apparently very attractive, but I had a hard time imaging him in my head.  The romance between the two felt awkward at best and forced at worst.  I understand there are legitimate reasons you two cannot fuck each other’s brains out and get it over with, but I felt like their relationship was just lust and once they are together for a few months, it’ll burn out quickly.  The fact that they stupidly got married for a publicity stunt makes it that much worse.

The plotline, at least, was interesting enough.  I would actually really love to see more of Lorelei.  She is what kept me reading, to see if her storyline would work out.  I don’t think we’ll get much more of her in this series and that is just sad since she was the big highlight for me.  The novel was decent enough,  I supposed, but disappointing because I’ve adored all the Jennifer Echols books I’ve read until now and I hate seeing something I’m excited about fall below my expectations.  I am planning on reading the next novel, but I’m not nearly as excited about it was I was before I started this.  Hopefully the next heroine won’t be so obnoxious and I won’t dislike her as much.