BowsAndBulletsReviews

Julie Kagawa

Review for Fearless (Elemental #1.5) by Brigid Kemmerer

Fearless - Brigid Kemmerer

This review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

Hunter Garrity has always been picked on in school.  He knows how to defend himself, but doesn't really want to fight so mostly avoids the bullies.  So when Clare approaches him wanting help, he's a bit off kilter.  She claims she just wants information, but is she telling the truth?

I'll admit I've been avoiding this.  I should have read it when I read all the previous books, but I'm not exactly Hunter's biggest fan.  Now, since I am going to read Spirit, which is also about Hunter, I thought I just read this novella first to gage how bad it's going to be.  The answer?  Not so bad.  Hunter's past is bad enough that, once you get past the bullshit, you can't help sympathize with the shit his been through.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still not in love with him, but I do like him a bit better now and I'm not as apprehensive about reading Spirit now.  I'd still rather skip to Secret because I'm <b>dying</b> to read Nick's book, but maybe Kemmerer will surprise me by making me love a character I don't really like now.

Anyway, this short novella follows Hunter as he tries to educate a classmate about gun safety.  It's obvious there is more going on than she's admitting too, but with his Elements, he can't help wanting to help her.  Even after she fucks with him, he still runs to her aid when she's in trouble.  So, maybe I can see the appeal of Hunter.  Despite the dickish things he does in Storm/Spark, maybe he's not so bad.  I'll let you know for sure after I finish Spirit!

Tabitha's signature